Rich Client Programming: Plugging into the NetBeans(TM) Platform
Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR | Number Of Pages:640 | Publication Date: 2007-04-30 | ISBN 0132354802 | 4MB
The open-source NetBeans Platform is an extraordinarily powerful framework for building "write once, run anywhere" rich client applications. Now, for the first time since the release of NetBeans IDE 5.0, there's a comprehensive guide to rich client development on the NetBeans Platform.
Written for Java developers and architects who have discovered that basic Swing components are not enough for them, this book will help you get started with NetBeans module development, master NetBeans' key APIs, and learn proven techniques for building reliable desktop software. Each chapter is filled with practical, step-by-step instructions for creating complete rich client applications on top of the NetBeans Platform and plugins for NetBeans IDE.
Rich Client Programming's wide-ranging content covers
* Why modular development makes sense for small, medium, and large applications
* Using NetBeans to accelerate development and improve efficiency
* Leveraging NetBeans productivity features, from the Component Palette to Code Completion
* Leveraging NetBeans' modular architecture in your own applications
* Implementing loosely coupled communication to improve code maintainability and robustness
* Managing user- and system-configuration data
* Building reloadable components with solid threading models
* Constructing sophisticated multiwindow applications and presenting rich data structures to users
* Adding user-configurable options
* Integrating Web services with NetBeans desktop applications
* Automating module updates and providing user help