With Hide Folders XP you can easily protect any number of folders and files on your computer. You can select any file or folder to protect from the program, drag-and-drop the desired files and folders from Windows Explorer into the Hide Folders XP window or just right click mouse button on a file or folder in Explorer and select “Hide & Lock with Hide Folders XP” from the drop-down menu.
Hide Folder XP main screen
Features and benefits
* Unlimited number of files and folders to protect
* Different protection modes: Hide folder, Lock folder, Hide & Lock folder
* Instance protection - It doesn't perform any file scrambling or moving to another "secret" place.
* Protected folders will be inaccessible to all users including system administrators
* Password protection against unauthorized users
* Folders can be protected even in Safe mode
* True stealth mode
* Windows XP x64 compatibility
* Optional Windows Explorer integration
* Evidence elimination
* Hot keys support
Difference from internal Windows XP data protection features
A lot of advanced users believe that Hide Folders XP (as well as any other third party folder protection software) is useless because Windows has integrated file and folder lock features.
Well, indeed, you can lock folders with Windows XP and this folder will be inaccessible by the other (unauthorized) users. But there are some annoying limitations that you should be aware of:
1. Windows allows you to lock files and folders on NTFS volumes only. FAT and FAT32 are not supported. Although nowadays it's too difficult to find a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) formatted with FAT, it's still in use in different removable storage devices.
2. It is impossible to hide folder or file with standard Windows XP facilities. Only file and folder lock is possible.
3. There is no way to make folder invisible but accessible which is helpful for different security tasks like logging, private data recording, backing up etc.
4. A system administrator can easily get access to the locked folders and files.
5. Windows XP home edition doesn't have a user interface to protect files and folders.
6. There is no files and folders password protection in Windows XP (except the password you provide during Windows logon) - as soon as an authorized user authenticate himself by logging on, s/he get access to the protected files and folders. If you share your account with the another users then you can't exploit Windows folder protection features.
New protection modes: Hide folder, Lock folder, Hide & Lock folder
If you are a Hide Folders XP 1.x user, you are probably know, that all hidden folders were inaccessible as well. So if you hide a folder with Hide Folders XP 1.x you also lock this folder. In Hide Folders XP 2.x this mode is called Hide & Lock. When you add a new folder to Hide Folders XP list, it will receive Hide & Lock protection attribute by default.
There are 3 additional protection modes available in Hide Folders XP 2.x:
Hide folder protection mode. The protected file or folder will not be visible to a user, but it will be possible to access it if you know the path to the object. This can be helpful when you want to hide application folders but allow running the applications from these folders. E.g. you can hide Hide Folders XP application folder, so nobody will know about it, but if you type from the command prompt "C:\Program Files\HFXP2\hfxp.exe", Hide Folders XP will run.
Lock folder protection mode. The protected file or folder will be visible but not accessible. It is similar to built-in protection of Windows NT-based operating systems on NTFS volumes. You cannot use this protection method for Windows, System and Hide Folders XP application folders.
No protection mode. If you choose this method, your file or folder will remain unprotected even if the protection is activated.
Download Hide Folders XP absolutely FREE
Easy password protection for any private folder
It is very easy to protect files and folders with a password. Just specify your own password for opening Hide Folders XP and nobody but you will access your hidden files and folders! For more security you can password protect Hide Folders XP from unauthorized uninstall.
Stealth mode - Hide a folder and nobody will know about it
It is possible to remove all the tracks of Hide Folders XP.
When Hide Folders XP application is not running, hidden files and folders are invisible anyway. Moreover, you can remove your Hide Folders XP application folder and the hidden files and folders will stay invisible. Fantastic?! Just try it - it's free!
When you quit Hide Folders XP, it can clear links to protected files from My Recent Documents folder, clear Recycle Bin file and folders that were protected before deletion and remove Hide Folders XP application from the mostly used programs list.
Moreover it is possible to hide uninstall information about Hide Folders XP software and hide folders even in Windows Safe mode.
As flexible and advanced as you want it to be
During the development process of the Hide Folders XP we discussed and considered every detail. Our users offered some of them, so we made the program as flexible as it was possible:
* You can assign hot keys to basic Hide Folders XP actions.
* You can change the default behavior of standard Microsoft Windows actions (Close window, minimize window).
* You can add Hide Folders XP into Windows Explorer context menu to hide and lock a file or folder easy even when the program in not running.
* Hide Folders XP is multilingual software – it can be easily translated into new languages.
* Command line options allow to use Hide Folders XP from other software, scripts etc.
Safe and reliable - Hide files and folders safely
Any system and security utilities require more accurate work because such kind of software can easily make the system unstable. A great number of testers are testing our software to make sure that it will not be a reason of data loss.
In compare with other folder protection software, Hide Folders XP gives you the following benefits:
* Hide Folders XP is fully compatible with Windows 2000 and Windows XP including Service Pack 2 and x64 edition.
* It works with any Windows-compatible file systems (NTFS, FAT32 and FAT).
* When Hide Folders XP protects files and folders, no file system structure modifications occurs.
* If you protect a lower-level file or folder and then try to remove or rename an upper folder, Hide Folders XP will prohibit this operation.
* Security tips that explain how to use Hide Folders XP effectively and prevent misuse of the program.
* Free and Fast customer support will be happy to help in case of any problem with software operating.
Every version of Hide Folders XP works better and safely then the previous one. Due to unique method of keeping information about the hidden folders, Hide Folders XP 2.x works much faster then any previous version of Hide Folders XP 1.x.
New protection methods (lock, hide and hide & lock a folder or a file) work great and add an additional flexibility to the Hide Folders XP 2.x software. New user interface is more friendly and comprehensible even for very novice user.