Disk, Volume, & File Protection
PGP Desktop Professional includes PGP Whole Disk Encryption to lock down the entire contents of a laptop, desktop, external drive, or USB flash drive, including boot sectors, system, and swap files. Pre-boot authentication is enforced and the always-on encryption is transparent to the user, automatically protecting data. Volume and file encryption provides an added layer of security to protect sensitive data while the system is powered on.
PGP Desktop Professional provides email and instant messaging (IM) encryption between AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) users with PGP Desktop to enable confidential communications. Policy-based enforcement simplifies security, providing transparent operation with no additional user requirements
Flexible Deployment Options
PGP Desktop Professional can be rapidly deployed in standalone mode in smaller companies or to critical users within a larger enterprise. As security requirements evolve, organizations can easily migrate existing users to a centralized, managed architecture without changes to user behavior or credentials and add new encryption functionality to existing deployments, as needed.
PGP Encryption Platform–Enabled
The PGP Encryption Platform provides a strategic enterprise encryption framework for shared user management, policy, and provisioning automated across multiple, integrated encryption applications. As a PGP Encryption Platform–enabled application, PGP Desktop Professional leverages PGP Universal Server users, keys, and configurations, expediting deployment and policy enforcement. PGP Desktop Professional can be used in combination with other PGP encryption solutions to provide multiple layers of security.
New Features in PGP Desktop 9.5.2 for Windows: • Single Sign-On: Allows users to synchronize their Windows password with their PGP Whole Disk Encryption passphrase without replacing Windows system files. This setup lets users authenticate in the pre-boot environment and have those credentials safely passed to Windows for an automated login. The PGP Whole Disk Encryption password Windows synchronization functionality also enables organizations to extend their existing password security policies to PGP Whole Disk Encryption sign-on.
• Partition encryption: Enables PGP Whole Disk Encryption users to encrypt select partitions of disks instead of the entire disk, providing compatibility with multi-partition disks that use different operating systems on each partition. It also ensures that the laptop recovery partitions commonly used on recent laptops are not encrypted.
• Enhanced performance and safeguards improvements: Improvements in overall performance plus new controls to maximize CPU utilization and power failure safeguards enable maximum performance and safety for power users.
• Resizable virtual disks: Securing data with multiple layers of encryption, PGP Virtual Disks store files and folders inside an encrypted virtual volume. In PGP Desktop Pro 9.5.2, a PGP Virtual Disk can grow in size as needed, allowing the users to add data without managing space requirements.
• Notification window: PGP Desktop Professional’s notification window alerts users when encryption operations are performed.
Crypto Algorithms in PGP 9.5.2 Professional Desktop:
Public Key Formats: OpenPGP RFC 2440, X.509 v3. Symmetric Key Algorithms: AES with up to 256-bit keys, CAST, TripleDES, IDEA, Twofish. Hashes: SHA-2 with up to 512-bit hashes, SHA-1, MD5, RIPEMD-160. Public Key Algorithms: Diffie-Hellman, DSS, RSA v4 up to 4096-bit.
Desktop Systems Supported: Windows Server 2003, Windows XP SP1, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 SP3.
PGP Mail Supports: Microsoft Outlook 2000, XP and 2003, Microsoft Outlook Express 6, Eudora 6.2 for Windows, AOL Instant Messenger 5.5–5.9, Microsoft Entourage 2004.
Changes in this maintenance release include:
- Fully localized for English, German, and Japanese.
- International character set encoding improvements.
- Numerous bug fixes.