Rupert Lee, "The Eureka! Moment: 100 Key Scientific Discoveries of the 20th Century"
ISBN: 0415939410, 0415970709 | 2002 | PDF | 256 pages | 50 MB
Genius, Einstein said, is 99% perspiration. The other 1%–the moment of inspiration and insight–provides some of the best stories of our time. From superconductors to the Big Bang, the best tales of scientific revelation are collected in The Eureka! Moment, an addictive tour through the modern world's key scientific discoveries.
Rupert Lee's accounts transport readers to the moment of realization: the inventor's laboratory, his or her doubts, initial setbacks, feuds with other scientists, and finally the shock and excitement of triumph. Together, these "biographies of inspiration" paint an astonishing picture of human ingenuity. In physics we learn how scientists for Bell Labs inadvertently supplied proof for the Big Bang theory while trying to eliminate the background hiss in their microwave antenna. In astronomy we see Hubble's recognition that the universe is expanding, not static, as well as the fortuitous discovery of Pluto by a farm boy from Kansas. We join Watson and Crick as theydecode the double helix of DNA, and Karl von Frisch as he deciphers the honeybee's waggle dance. Skillfully written to clarify concepts from quarks to relativity to antibodies for the lay reader,The Eureka Moment is a must-read for anyone interested in popular science and the history of invention.