Foundational Java: Key Elements and Practical Programming, Second Edition by David Parsons
English | PDF,EPUB | 2020 | 612 Pages | ISBN : 3030545172 | 113 MB
Java is now well-established as one of the world’s major programming languages, used in everything from desktop applications to web-hosted applications, enterprise systems and mobile devices. Java applications cover cloud-based services, the Internet of Things, self-driving cars, animation, game development, big data analysis and many more domains.
The second edition of Foundational Java: Key Elements and Practical Programming presents a detailed guide to the core features of Java – and some more recent innovations – enabling the reader to build their skills and confidence though tried-and-trusted stages, supported by exercises that reinforce the key learning points. All the most useful and commonly applied Java syntax and libraries are introduced, along with many example programs that can provide the basis for more substantial applications. Use of the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and the JUnit testing framework is integral to the book, ensuring maximum productivity and code quality when learning Java, although to ensure that skills are not confined to one environment the fundamentals of the Java compiler and run time are also explained. Additionally, coverage of the Ant tool will equip the reader with the skills to automatically build, test and deploy applications independent of an IDE.
Topics and features:
• Presents the most up-to-date information on Java, including Java 14
• Examines the key theme of unit testing, introducing the JUnit 5 testing framework to emphasize the importance of unit testing in modern software development
• Describes the Eclipse IDE, the most popular open source Java IDE and explains how Java can be run from the command line
• Includes coverage of the Ant build tool
• Contains numerous code examples and exercises throughout
• Provides downloadable source code, self-test questions, PowerPoint slides and other supplementary material at the website http://www.foundjava.com
This hands-on, classroom-tested textbook/reference is ideal for undergraduate students on introductory and intermediate courses on programming with Java. Professional software developers will also find this an excellent self-study guide/refresher on the topic.
Dr. David Parsons is National Postgraduate Director at The Mind Lab, Auckland, New Zealand. He has been teaching programming in both academia and industry since the 1980s and writing about it since the 1990s.