Insider Power Techniques for Microsoft Windows XP
Author:Paul McFedries,Scott Andersen,Austin Wilson,Geoff Winslow|Pages 416|ISBN 0-7356-1896-8
Get ultimate PC performance with the field-proven secrets of the pros.
Accept no limits! Tweak Windows® XP for ultimate performance with the undocumented secrets and hidden gems of the experts who work with the technology every day. Three Microsoft® Consulting Services (MCS) professionals have teamed with well-known Windows book author Paul McFedries to reveal their best from-the-field techniques, practices, hacks, tricks, and workarounds for putting all of your PC’s muscle to work. Smart, straightforward, and uncompromisingly practical, this book is the ultimate insider’s guide to pushing Windows XP as far as it can go!
Put professional-level practices to work for you:
• Tweak registry settings without getting burned
• Employ lethal techniques to help fight viruses, intruders, and spam
• Customize startup and shutdown—get work done behind the scenes
• Install devices and drivers—painlessly
• Learn 10 ways to help give your system rock-solid stability
• Write your own scripts—or run the ones inside
• Share your PC using group policies, account lock-outs, and other management tools
• Optimize memory, performance, and usability
• Easily synchronize files between your mobile and desktop PCs
• Troubleshoot problems the way the experts do